2012/09/05

I have did something bad

Hello All , 

I will start with a big disclaimer  : 
 I have did this only for testing and because i needed this database to get attached this is a development environment , and what i did is totally 100% not supported not recommended .


Today I wanted to migrate an old project server 2007 five database to my test project server 2010 environment 

i attached the five databases to the SQL ran SP central admin and created a new PWA  , the project web application provisioned successfully . 

but when I tried to add the database to the content database I got this error 



this is a very straight forward error that says you need to upgrade your 2007 content database first to match the number in the red box or higher .

i started to look for a 2007 environment so i can do the right thing and upgrade it but then it hit me .

i went to the database it self looked for the table that store the database version (this is how the command knew in the first place )

i went to the table Versions and looked for the row with that contains the version number [12.0.0.6219] updated that to   [12.0.0.6421]

ran the command and yes it worked .

why is that cool  because it is , if i have to explain why you are on the wrong blog

why you shouldn't do it because they have it for a reason with each update there is a change to the database schema , so basically its a matter of time and luck before i hit an error that have no fix but to dump everything and redo it again the correct way.


Cheers
Malek


No comments:

Post a Comment

shayeb@gmail.com